Are you a Rebel or a Buckethead? Jedi or a Sith? Do you want to show your true colors, or hedge your bets and show all? Jedi Master Heidi made these 7 fantastic banners few of years back, and they are incredibly simple and cheap to make. Our display might not quite rival Napoleon’s flag display at Les Invalides, but I promise it still looked very impressive!
The first year we used them we had a contest: the person who identified the most insignias correctly won a prize (vintage Star Wars books). It was surprising how hard it was for even the most ardent fans to get more than half correct.
They are super simple to make! Here is how!
- Standard Plastic Table Cloth (about 54″ x 108″ or so)
- Printout of Icons (patterns below)
- Spray Mount
- Clear Packing Tape
- Foamcore (or thick cardboard)
- Scissors/X-acto Knife
- Cut tablecloth in 2, 20″w x 48″t pieces. (You can spray mount the table cloth, and fold in half before cutting if you want, but it will hang fine, even if you do not glue the pieces together)
- Cut Foamcare or cardboard to 20″w x 2″t.
- Place Foamcore across the top of the doubled-up banner, about 2.5″ down. Fold banner over foamcoare, and tape in place.
- Cut a small hole on each side about 1″ from the corner.
- Print out the icons.
- Close cut them.
- Spray the back of the printouts with spray glue.
- Place on banner: centered and about 4″ from the bottom. (Make sure you place on the front – the side that does not have tape!)
- Rub flat.
- Tie string through the holes.
- Tablecloths – Get them at your local dollar store!
- Spray Mount
- The Star Wars icons are all from the font “SF Distant Galaxy Symbols” which you can download for free.