This is a take on the perennial favorite pigs-in-a-blanket. Though we have taken the pigs out and added ships. We took the pigs out because, here at May the Fourth, we are talking about Star Wars, not PIGS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
(Quick googling… is there a Muppet Parody of Star Wars? YIKES there are Muppet Star Wars figurines! The Star Wars cast was even on the Muppet Show!)
Back to the X-Wings. This recipe is originally from the book “The Star Wars Cook Book: Wookiee Cookies and Other Galactic Recipes” by Robin Davis (the book is a must have for M4Ps). She calls them TIE fighter ties, but ours always end up looking more like x-wings, so we renamed them for our parties.
- 1 Kosher Hot Dog Package
- 2 Refrigerated Bread Sticks Dough “Tubes” (8 pack)
- Non stick Pans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Cut the hot dogs in about long 1.5″ sections
- Cut all the bread sticks into 2 pieces.
- Place hot dog piece on pan, standing up on end.
- Wrap hot dog piece on 1 side with a piece of dough.
- Wrap the other side with another piece.
- Pinch the area where the dough overlaps.
- Repeat (make lots, we almost always run out)
- Check the instructions on the dough package for how long they should be in the oven. Or just wing it (X-wing it!) and take them out when nice and golden brown
If you can, make them all in advance, but do not bake them all at once. They are WAY better hot, and people are grazers. So stagger the baking throughout the party, so there is always a fresh batch.