Actual conversation in our house, the day The Force Awakens opened…
My 4-year-old son (dressed in Darth Vader jacket): Yoda!!! Darth Vader is Hungry!!!!!!
Me (wearing my Yoda hat): What would Darth Vader like to eat?
My son: I dunno what Darth Vader eats, but Jar Jar eats Mesa soup.
I really wish I could take credit for that joke. I wish I could take credit for coming up with “Mesa soup“. But alas, my 4-year-old son, came up with both all by himself. I have to say I was a pretty proud.
So today we are featuring his Jar Jar’s Mesa Soup, (or Jar Jar of Mesa Soup, or maybe Jar jar with Mesa Soup.) which is of course based on the Japanese favorite, Miso soup.
Making Miso soup is easy, if you know where to look for ingredients. Your best bet is to go to an Asian grocery store to get a high quality Miso Paste and good tofu. If there are no Asian stores around, then Trader Joe’s has a boxed ready-made Miso Soup that our kids love, and TJ’s has good tofu too.
- Miso paste (miso paste is fermented soy bean paste. It comes with or without bonito (fish flavor)
- Green Onions
- Served with brown rice and kim (seaweed sheets)
- The usual cooking stuff: Pot and Cutting Utensils
- Yoda Lightsaber Chopsticks
- and a “Jar Jar” to put any leftovers in
- Cook rice (we use Japanese brown rice and rice cooker, if you have not tried that yet, I highly recommend trying it. There simply is no better – or easier – way to make rice.)
- Mix soup per directions on package: or check this recipe out from the Minimalist Baker.
- Cut tofu in small cubes and add a couple of handfuls to the soup while on the stove.
- Cut green onions and add to the soup base.
- Crumble some seaweed on top of the rice.