Me to Hubby: Honey, can I submerge one of your X-Wings in Jello?
Here is how that question arose… We need a cool new dish this year. What have we made in the past? What do we not have? We don’t have any soups… hm, what is liquid in the movies? Lake Paonga on Naboo? Yoda’s swamp! Swamp! Green soup? X-Wing? X-Wing will melt! Cold soup…Avacado? (Google recipes….) Cucumber? Ugh! X-Wing in something green. Swampy? Slimy? JELLO!!!!
- Green Jello
- Seedless Red Grapes
- Somewhat Disposable X-Wing
- Glass Bowl or Oven Form
- Wash X-Wing carefully.
- Wash and cut grapes in half.
- Cover most of the bottom of the bowl with raisins
- Mix the Jello according to instructions on the box.
- Pour Jello in bowl/form
- Rearrange the raisins so they look like random rocks.
- Let cool (but not harden).
- Carefully place the X-wing in the Jello (you might have to put something under to prop it to the right “crash” angle).
- Place cut grapes in strategic places.
- Place in fridge, and let sit until nice and “jiggly”.
- Serve right away.
Make the Jello as last minute as you reasonably can. Toys and their paint are generally not food safe, so we don’t want to let any potential chemicals seep into the Jello. And definitely wait until the Jello mix is cool before you put the ship in so it does not melt. Also, you should not keep any left-overs in the bowl with the ship.
The hardest thing about making this dish will be finding an appropriate X-wing… or once you have found it, convince your husband that it is a good idea to cover it in Jello…
I am having a hard time finding new X-Wings, that are not Lego, or part of the Star Wars Miniature Games. Both are of course way cool, but not good for Jello. Your best bet is probably ebay, and look for something used.