Star Wars fandom proposes some problems for girls. The majority of characters are male of course, but more importantly just about all official licensed merchandising is geared towards boys. (Marketing people at Disney, take note, there is a vast untapped market here!) Having a daughter who likes Star Wars, AND pink girly things, can create a bit of a challenge when it comes to Star Wars costumes. But being a firm believer in creative liberties, and personal expressions – as well as being the owner of a several cans of pink spray paint, we went to work. 10 minutes of work, and wait time about the time it took to watch 3 Clone Wars episodes, we had the perfect Pink Vader costume.
- Darth Vader Mask
- Grey Spray Paint Primer
- Pink Spray Paint
- Blue Painters Tape
- Clone Wars Season 1
- Pink Cape (ours was a gift from a crafty friend)
- Pink Outfit of Choice
- Lightsaber (We will pst the how-to for this kind later. Until then, click here for instructions for the Bubble Wand or Foam Noodle Lightsabers)
- A Little Brother to defeat with said Lightsaber…
- Using blue painters tape, cover any parts of the mask you do not want painted.
- Prime with grey spray paint.
- Watch 1 Clone Wars episode while primer dries.
- Spray with pink spray paint.
- Watch another Clone Wars episode while the pink dries.
- Spray again with pink spray paint, if needed.
- Watch a bonus Clone Wars episode while the pink dries completely.
- After entirely dry, remove the blue tape, and voila, a Vader mask any girl would be happy to don.
- (and I am NOT going to get into how to get the little brother… after all, this is a family friendly site 🙂
We did not prime the mask first. I highly recommend that you do though, it’ll cover better and the color will be more even.
The lightsaber boppers were made by Jedi Master Heidi. We will have instructions on how to make those in a later post.
Read our post about the Yoda costume here!
Darth Vader Mask
Grey Spray Paint Primer
Pink Spray Paint
Blue Painters Tape
DIY Lightsabers: Bubble Wand or Foam Noodle Lightsabers