Food is best made with friends, and these were a collaboration of several of us. Gene had the great idea of making Wampas based on his Wookie cookies. But since he has been crazy busy running his Kickstarter Campaign, Jedi Master Heidi and I volunteered to figure out how.
So here, based on Gene’s recipe, made by me and my #1 (my daughter), and with lots of brainstorming help from Heidi, may we present the….
M4P Bloody Wampa cookies!
- 20 oz Sweetened Shredded Coconut (7.5 cups or so)
- 4 Large Egg Whites
- 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 1/3 Cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 bag White Chocolate, (melted and cooled just a bit)
- Dark Chocolate
- 1 Tube Black Cookie Decorator Gel
- Red Food Coloring
- Circular cookie cutter
- Wax Paper Sheets
- Baking Sheets
- Cutting Board
- Place wax paper on cutting board.
- Microwave dark chocolate in small bowl until melted.
- Spread melted chocolate on wax paper (about 1/8″ thick).
- Place another piece of wax paper on top. Smooth the chocolate.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Remove the top wax paper sheet, and cut little horns with the cookie cutter.
- Put back in fridge until needed.
- Heat oven to 325° F.
- Combine the 5 cups coconut, egg whites, sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Put tablespoonfuls of the dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, about an inch or two apart.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden color.
- Let cool completely.
- Microwave and melt white chocolate in small bowl.
- Pour the remainder of the coconut in a small bowl.
- Dip the top and sides of each macaroon in the chocolate .
- Then, immediately dip the chocolate covered cookies in the coconut, and place back on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Add 2 chocolate horns. (Tuck them into the white chocolate so they stick)
- Cool in the fridge for about 30 min.
- Add eyes and mouth and an “appropriate” amount of “blood” using black gel and red for coloring.
- Put back in fridge for about another 30 min.
- They will last in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week. (Longer in the fridge)
You can find the base macaroon recipe here at Real Simple.com.
The chocolate horns will melt a bit when it comes in contact with the warm white chocolate – so you can bend into shape pretty easy, Make sure you get the horns right our of the fridge though, otherwise they will melt entirely.